Workplace surface cleaning – What you need to know
Cleaning in the workplace has become a key part of a day in the office – as the current COVID-19 pandemic has forced us all to think more about cleanliness and standards of hygiene. All workplaces must adapt quickly to such crises so that they can continue to run safely.
SARS-CoV-2, the virus causing the COVID-19 disease, persists on porous and non-porous hard surfaces. In fact, research suggests the virus can remain on copper for up to 4 hours, cardboard for up to 24 hours and plastic and stainless-steel surfaces for up to 3 days. This is clearly making work premises much higher risk areas to operate on a daily basis and highlights the need to make sure cleaning routines are in line with ongoing coronavirus cleaning advice.
Workspaces really need a systematic deep clean to maintain a hygienic and Covid-secure working environment. Deep cleaning is more thorough than standard cleaning procedures and means all the nooks and crannies can be cleaned. All surfaces from light switches to computer cables should be thoroughly sanitised, and absolutely no stone should be left unturned in this. A cleaner environment that has undergone this treatment will motivate workers more and make everyone feel happier and safer coming to work.
How can antibacterial wipes help?
Antibacterial wipes like our clinical wipes are made to target viruses and bacteria and they are effective in doing so. When it comes to killing viruses like SARS-CoV-2, these Uniwipe Clinical Midi-Wipes are proven to kill in 30 seconds. They are especially very helpful for cleaning in the workplace because they are:
Easy to use – With our antibacterial midi wipe range, only 1 wipe is needed per work desk or workstation. With 100 wipes per pack, a lot of desks can be cleaned in a short period of time. They are safe and kind to the skin and can make cleaning very fast and efficient.
Can be purchased in bulk – Due to our effective in-house manufacturing, these antibacterial wipes can be purchased and delivered in bulk, making the whole deep-clean process quicker, easier and more reliable. Consistently using the same professional grade cleaning product will ensure consistent results and maximum hygiene protection.
Tested to the highest EN standards – Our antibacterial wipes have some of the highest EN accreditation available, so you can have total confidence when cleaning. This includes standards such as EN13727, EN1276 and EN14476 and is essential for deep cleaning busy working hubs, where germs can more easily spread between people. For the full range of EN standards for each product, view the product information pages.
Where to focus your efforts when deep-cleaning work surfaces?
● Work desks- The average work desk contains over 400 times more bacteria than the average toilet seat. This becomes especially bad when on busy days, people eat and drink at their desk. Without frequently cleaning our desks, millions of bacteria can accumulate – putting you at risk of serious illness. Items such as phones and laptop keyboards should be cleaned with anti-bacterial wipes particularly thoroughly. Keep desks tidy, as this reduces the areas for germs to build up and makes it easier to clean effectively.
● Canteen countertops- In canteens or a shared workplace kitchen, there is a lot of contact between people, different surfaces and food. Sinks may not look visible dirty, but often are full of bacteria. Countertops are soaking up a lot of skin cells, food particles, sweat and dust every day, so quickly grab that disinfectant wipe! Make sure you clean before and after you eat, as this reduces the chances of catching germs from others, and also passing on germs to others.
● Printers and photocopiers- The average photocopier or printer is touched up to 300 times a day, which means germs can spread easily with them. Buttons or the touchpad need to be given attention when cleaning, so the spread of bacteria through different people is eliminated.
● Door handles- Possibly one of the most touched surfaces, door handles are a real hotspot for germs and bacteria due to their extremely high usage by many different people. Pay special attention to door handles, including toilets, offices, meeting rooms, entrance and exits. Cupboard doors should also be including, especially in frequently used areas such as canteens, along with fridges, microwaves and coffee machines.
● Computer keyboard & mouse- Mice and keyboards are basically a playground for bacteria and germs – with all the gaps and crevices that are hard to get to to clean properly, they are the ideal breeding ground for bacteria. When cleaning your keyboard, turn it upside down over the bin and give it a good shake to dislodge dust and dirt built up underneath the keys. Then with the keyboard turned off, give the keys a good wipe with a damp antibacterial wipe, making sure to clean down the side of the keys as well.
All in all, workplaces can be pretty germy places if not regularly cleaned – make sure to check out our full guide to improve your workplace cleaning routine into the future.